Monday 24 March 2008

What is this blog about? UPDATE

Extract from the introduction for new readers.

"During 1942 my Grandmother Jose Axtell (aged 21) became one 200,000 women to be conscripted into the Auxilary Training Services (ATS). The ATS was the women's branch of the British Army during the second world war. After the National Service Act of 1941, it became compulsory for unmarried women between the ages of 20 to 30 to join one of the auxilary services. This included Princess Elizabeth, our future Queen, who was trained to drive military vehicles during 1945.

Jose became a member of the ECTC or emergency catering training core. During 1942, she trained for three weeks in Honiton, Devon at the Catering Training Core facilities. After her initial training she moved to the Colchester Garrison where she cooked meals for the troups. Colchester was targetted on many occasions during the blitz between 1942 and 1944.
In April 1944, Jose married Sidney Brackley of Coleshill. Their first child Gillian Mary (my mother) was born two days after VE day in May 1945. Their second child, Ernest John was born two and a half years later. However, died when he was nearly four in an unfortunate accident. Wendy Elizabeth was born during 1955 and became my mother's little sister.

This blog is based on her training notes during her three weeks in the E.C.T.C at Honiton. It includes the recipes that were cooked for the troups and notes that were important for her overall training. "

*Updated 21 Dec 2008

4 comments:

Austan said...

I found your blog in looking up the ATS. My Mom was a US Marine Sergeant in the Pentagon during WW2. She died 13 yrs ago but I found a partial autobiography she handwrote and will be serializing it on my blog soon. I do love yr blog!

Julie Goucher said...

I found your blog via a posting on Facebook. Looking forward to reading further.

TimsWalks said...

Hi! we're related! I was looking for information on Jose for my wife's family history. Jose would be my wife's Great Aunt, her gandfather Axtell was George who passed away in 1992.

Perhaps we could communicate directly? My email is timjones30@gmail.com

Great blog, extremely informative!

Tim



Unknown said...

Hi ya, my dad says he remembers Gillian. My grandad was George, the oldest. My father is Eric Axtell, George's oldest son. You and I are second cousins. If you are interested, contact me at juliepoe208@gmail.com.
Love this story about Jose. Thanks for sharing.